Friday, September 22, 2006

Seriously though which is it - Your true identity

The title is quite ominous but I hope as I tell the tale the title will become a tad clearer. As I read xoxo blog it reminded me of this man I once met. I had met this refreshing looking guy a while back, very pleasant to the eye and it appeared that he had everything going that a young girl would want in a man she would like to date. He sounded ambitious, and was just finishing dental school. He intoduced himself to me - adeniran adegoke folusho omotayo tewogbade - or something on those lines. I smiled. Finally a nigerian, a nigerian I thought to myself; I grew up in the middle of nowhere where the population was mostly white, and it was refreshing to meet a go getter who happened to be nigerian. So I went on to ask him where he was from [you know ladies how you know the answer, but you still ask the questions] - I assumed he was going to say I grew up in Delaware but my parents are originally from nigeria or something of that nature - [you know how some nigerian youth are who grew up outside nigeria identify themselves] - so imagine my shock when the guy tells me he's from south carolina, originallyfrom Georgia. I pressed on to ask where his parents were from and he said something like New York. I was flabbergasted. I had been sure this black brother's name was nigerian and after he had introduced himself, he had left me confused. I later reconciled with myself with the idea that quite possibly he was a black american with a nigerian name. But all 5 names, that was it. The man had exhausted me with his answers and it was time I went on my merry way. So I said my goodbyes and that was that. I thought of other example like ...Taaayyyeeee Diggs... The actor who by his first name may lead people into thinking he's nigerian but may be a black american wanting to associate himself with africa. But in this actors defense he only has one name that remotely sounded nigerian. But the guy I met had five. As I walked along, I couldn't help but wonder, was he nigerian and not proud of his roots and desperately wanting to belong that he would sell his history, or is this the case of when in ROME behave like the Romans do. Interestingly this has taught me a huge lesson indeed, Just because he looks nigerian, acts nigerian speaks like a nigerian doesn't make him a nigerian.

Have a blessed wekend all.

19 comments:

lws said...

blog hop.

:)
have a great w/e.

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

True talk LOASCM. Some African Americans now name their kids with all African names. Yoruba is believed to be a religion, so i think some of 'em practise Yoruba religion, give their kids Yoruba names and all, to be closer to their African heritage. Who knows?

Anonymous said...

Lol.. there's all sorts of naija guys out there.. you should check out my page to read my write-up..

I remember even this one guy during clubs week @ school.. the african students association was trying to tell him to sign up.. seeing as he was half nigerian half white. This guy's like oh, I dont wanna join.. i'm not black..just half black... WTF... imagine the rubbish

Luv ur blog

NaijaBloke said...

Hahahah ,..Na wah o ,but to be real,that guy is a full Naija man.if an African American want to give his/her son a Nigerian name,they wont give him 5 Nigerian names now.Haba ,..na so Obasanjo potry us reach.

Have a nice weekend o madam

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

@xoxo - but xoxo, are you sure he's not undercover yoruba. How comes all 5 names. But this religion thing they should really do their homework. HABA.
@naijababe - True - some people don't have serious problems with their identity.
NB - exactly my point - why all names. One would have been enough..right?? - weekend was ok.

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

@naijababe - correction- meant some people DO have problems with their identity.

Anonymous said...

interesting..will give my view after others have commented.

NaijaBloke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ExtrovertedPrude said...

Lol...reminds me of meeting a bloke named Spartacus ( i'm guessing that's how its spelt). Looked and sounded Nigerian, but with that name, i had to quiz him. What Nigerian is named after a Star Trek Xter, is what i was thinking. At first i embarrassed the hell out of him and i, b y not knowing how to pose my question, before he told me he is Bajian. But i could have sworn he was Nigerian.

DiAmOnD hawk said...

he's nigerian

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

@diamond - what makes you think that?

LondonBuki said...

I actually thought I'd left a comment for this last week.

LOL!!! I think he is Nigerian cos his surname was Nigerian as well right?

How did he pronounce the name(s)?

Enjoy the rest of your week and thanks for your comment on Mummy Monday :-)

The Life of a Stranger called me said...

@londonbuki he did pronounce it with an american accent - so maybe maybe - but still though -

Patry Francis said...

Maybe his parents spent time in Nigeria and loved it; thus the five names.

Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

Aunty, please update ur blog. I know it's not up to a week yet, but tomorrow would make it a week since ur last update.

Naijadude said...

Thats such a good one! I have met quiet some ppl like that too, most especially in Toronto(Canada), everyone is from somewhere! So I wouldnt chill for that I am from here, you sure have some roots deeply rooted somewhere.
I met a Jamaican girl, with the name "Adeola Ogun-something" I was like oops a Nigerian girl in my class. Unknowingly to me, she's from Jamaica, looks like a Nigerian with a Nigerian name but not Nigerian. I was perplexed, I believed it but I could fathom it!

DiAmOnD hawk said...

all FIVE names? that's why i think..in fact I KNOW that his origins are nigerian....but i take my statement back...he doesnt identify with nigeria...no be by force now...so he's american...

i've met several ppl w/nigerian first names...but last names too?...naaahhhh...their origins are nigerian...which one is jamaica...they should talk correctly jo.

ChiefO said...

maibe he was naija in his first life.

Anonymous said...

This is really interesting. Things are really not always what they seem. Keep blogging!